Sensory analysis consists of applying statistical analysis and experimental design to the evaluation of consumer products. Products are tested and their responses recorded. As a result, important and decisive inferences and insights are made. Nowadays, most large food companies invest in sensory analysis. Mango Solutions have developed R/S applications which allows the user to perform the highly customised and complex statistical techniques required from easy to use menu driven graphical user interfaces. Such applications allow the user to:
- Import sensory data from a variety of formats
- Perform specialised multivariate statistical techniques, both classic and cutting edge e.g. General Procrustes Analysis, Principal Component Analysis, the Indcal Model, etc.
- Perform sensory specific tasks such as characterizing products, assessing performance, mapping consumer preference, etc.
- Utilise the power, freedom and elegance of R/S graphics to perform descriptive and industry standard graphics, e.g. attribute line plots, image plots, factor maps, etc.
- Export the results to a variety of formats or produce tailor-made professional reports
Sensory Case Studies
Case Study: Mondelēz International – Upgrading a blend generator using R.
Mondelēz International were using a customized Roast Coffee Blend Generator system, integrated into an S-PLUS menu system. A desire to expand its use beyond coffee manufacturing meant that Mondelēz International needed to review upgrade options. The upgrade process would also need to allow for system improvements and minimize license costs.
Case Study: Campden BRI – Using a R to improve efficiency and flexibility of sensory analysis systems.
After years of improving and adding additional features, the internal analysis systems had come to rely on a ‘jigsaw of legacy code’. The system had become restrictive, and could not provide additional analysis options that were required. A more open code was needed to provide flexibility and new options for client requirements. Campden BRI also wanted to automate the routine analysis to make it more efficient and more user friendly for use across all Campden BRI sites.